Wednesday 10 November 2010

Band photographer

I have been looking at Robert John, who became a band photographer after a racing accident that ended his career. I can't find much information on him, other than the fact that his main subject was the popular rock band 'Guns N' Roses'. Other bands he worked with included W.A.S.P, London and LA Guns.

I also found Steve Gerrard who photographed A Day To Remember, one of the bands I researched, when they placed in Birmingham in March 2010. These are a few of the images:






I am inspired by these images. This is largely to do with the lighting in the photographs. I love that they illuminate the band member and the rest of the photo seems insignificant. The composition of the images are all central which keeps the focus on that person. The images are all captured when the band member is striking a pose and the only props included are their instruments.

As well as these, I have come across Niel Zlozower who is a famous rock band photographer. He is most famous for capturing the early days of Van Halen. He's also photographed Black Sabbath, Ratt and Motley Crue. 

1 comment:

  1. When discussing research talk about the technicalities: lighting, composition, poses and props. Talk about the creative decisions that may have been made in creating the images. And say how it influences / inspires you.

    ReplyDelete